Day 95 – I’m so excited to be part of the Northcenter Neighborhood Association‘s first Recycling Pop-up! The event will take place on Saturday, April 17th from 9am-12pm, at the Northcenter Town Square (a block north of the Starbucks at the Damen/Lincoln/Irving intersection). We are not able to take all those hard to recycle items, so please check the list below to see which items we will be accepting.
You don’t need to live in the neighborhood or be a member to drop things off. (Though we’d love you to help us keep this going by becoming a member or donating). We hope to expand our list every month, enabling you to recycle more and send less to the landfill.
We will collecting on the following dates,
- April 17 (9am-12pm)
- May 15 (9am-12pm)
- June 19 (9am-12pm)
- July 17 (9am-12pm)
- August 21 (9am-12pm)
- September 18 (9am-12pm)
- October 16 (9am-12pm)
Hopefully, the weather cooperates and we can collect in November & possibly December.
The items that will be accepted:
- Baby food packaging: Flexible or rigid plastic packaging; shrink labels; plastic containers; plastic lids; flexible plastic pouches; small and large hook Gerber baby clothing hangers
- Batteries (alkaline only)
- Beauty products: All skin care, hair care and cosmetic packaging, including specific lines (Rodan & Fields and Arbonne)
- Contact lenses and packaging
- Dental/personal hygiene products: toothbrushes, mouthwash bottles and caps, soap packaging, dental floss containers, toothpaste tubes and caps, deodorant containers and caps (Note: Packages should be empty; they do not need to be washed out.)
- Food storage containers (glass and plastic)
- Glue sticks
- Inkjet cartridges (Note: no toner cartridges)
- Phone cases
- Plastic cards: IDs, licenses, credit cards, business cards, gift cards, key cards. (Note: Please cut up all cards containing sensitive information before dropping off.)
- Popsockets: Popsocket products and packaging
- Razors: All brands of blades and razors; rigid plastic packaging; flexible plastic bag packaging (Note: no electric razors)
- Swiffer products: dry refills, wet refills, XL refills, WetJets refills, duster refills
- Toys (Please click on the manufacturer names below for lists of accepted brands)
- Hasbro toys and games
- Spin Master (Etch-a-sketch, Kinetic sand and more)
- Watercolor dispensers and paint sets
- Water filter products: BRITA ONLY. Filters, pitchers, dispensers, bottles, faucet systems and packaging
- Writing instruments (empty) and flexible packaging
We will also be collecting charitable items:
- Crayons (Crayon Initiative and SCARCE)
- Media: Commercial music CDs and movie DVDs/VHS tapes with original packaging. (SCARCE)
- Plastic bread bag tags (Danielle Cares for Chairs)
- Useable eyeglasses (Lions Clubs)
Be sure to check out the Northcenter Neighborhood Association’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding the pop-up event.
Feel free to send any questions my way about the event. I will be happy to answer them! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like to find out more about how this event was created and how you can bring this to your neighborhood, do not hesitate to ask. It is very doable and I have no doubt it will be very successful in diverting large amounts of waste from going to the landfill.
Hope to see some familiar faces on April 17th!
Tomorrow, a circular economy is the solution to our recycling problems.