Day 184 – It’s International Plastic Bag Free Day! If you haven’t already started, today is the day, to say no to the plastic bag.
Every minute, people around the world use a million plastic bags, most of which are thrown away after approximately 25 minutes of use. Depending on the type of plastic, it takes between 100 and 500 years for a plastic bag to degrade. During this time, microplastic particles get into the food chain and pollute drinking water, leading to poisoning and other health problems.
If the world does not stop production of plastic bags, in 30 years time the weight of plastic bags thrown in the oceans will exceed that of all the creatures living them.
Here are just a few of the dangers of plastic bags that the organizers of Plastic Bag Free Day highlight:
- They take at least 100 years to disintegrate and cause both direct and indirect harm to the environment and living organisms.
- Despite their low production cost, they end up being too expensive for humanity, given that they take so long to decompose and are very hard to clean from the environment.
- They contradict the principles of conscious consumption and respect for the environment.
- Thoughtless use of plastic bags by our generation will negatively affect the quality of life of future generations who will have to live on the planet that we’ve polluted.
- Microplastics get into the food chain, accumulating in living organisms and causing health problems.
- The main raw material for plastic bags is crude oil, which is an exhaustible resource.
The environmental situation on our planet depends on the efforts of all people who inhabit it, and giving up single-use plastic bags can be your personal contribution to reducing pollution and protecting the environment. It may seem insignificant to you, but in this case, any effort matters because it does help to make this world a better place for us and future generations.
There are a lot of good ways to celebrate, and the easiest requires a simple resolution on your part. The simplest thing you can do is choose paper or cloth over plastic, or even better bring your own bags to retailers to pick up goods. If you own a business yourself, initiate a program to encourage your customers to bring in their own reusable bags, and stop offering plastic bags.
Tomorrow, eco packaging is becoming more popular and you need to be on the lookout.