Day 216 – The Too Good To Go app is really making a difference on the fight against food waste. To date, they have saved 85 million meals from being tossed in the trash. The concept is very easy and brilliant!
Here’s how it works:
- Restaurants, supermarkets, cafes, bakeries (and much more) will, at the end of the day, see how much extra food they have left over.
- They will put an add on the Too Good To Go app to notify customers about the reduced priced food.
- With the Google Maps function implemented in the app, customers can easily locate restaurants and stores that sell the food.
- All the food is discounted, which helps provide people with an inexpensive meal, and it helps restaurants sell all their food.
- The planet will be happy as this is a very sustainable way of pushing “leftovers” to consumers and keeping food out of the landfill.
Too Good To Go hopes that the more people that use the app, the more food gets consumed instead of ending up in a landfill. On average, each meal you rescue from going to the trash is equivalent to the carbon footprint from charging your smartphone 422 times.
Lastly, Too Good To Go is a Certified B-Corporation and they’re active in Chicago (and many more towns and cities across the country)!
Tomorrow, celebrating National Underwear Day.