Day 124 – I have never been loyal to a specific brand of deodorant. I usually grabbed whatever was on sale. I then started paying attention to the packaging. Not all brands are recyclable. On further investigation, it wasn’t just the packaging I needed to worry about, but also the ingredients.
Aluminum chlorohydrate (in roll-ons and aerosols) and aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex GLY (in solids) are found in antiperspirants. They block the pores of our skin to prevent us from perspiring. While this is helpful in preventing us from becoming a sweaty mess, it becomes a problem when the toxins in our bodies have no way to escape.
Deodorants help mask the smell of sweat and body odor caused by sweating. While antiperspirants use ingredients that interact with sweat glands to target and prevent wetness. Now the question is, is one more safe to use than the other.
“Our armpits are in close proximity to the lymph nodes and breast tissue. A study published in the European Journal of Cancer found “underarm shaving with antiperspirant/deodorant use may play a role in breast cancer.” That’s important since, according to research, only 5% to 10% of cancer is genetic, whereas the remaining 90% to 95% is rooted in environmental and lifestyle factors.” – Earth911
The FDA did come out with there own statement saying, “Researchers at the National Cancer Institute, a part of the National Institutes of Health, are not aware of any conclusive evidence linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer.”
I guess, if I have to choose between a product that is free of questionable ingredients and comes in plastic free packaging over a product that has a warning not be used if you have kidney disease and is packaged in plastic, then I’m going with the first choice.
We are going to give the following deodorants a try in our house. I will be sure to report back as to which one(s) we liked the best.
Chagrin Valley Soap and Shave Company
Each & Every Natural Aluminum-Free Deodorant
What are you using? Do you know if the ingredients are safe?
And just a reminder, you can bring your empty deodorants or antiperspirant containers to the monthly NNA Recycle Popup. The next one is May 15th, 9am-12pm.
Tomorrow, a product that helps many breathe, but is not always easy to recycle.