Day 298 – I have never been a big fun of crafts. Even when my kids were younger, I kept craft time to a minimum. However, when thinking about Halloween activities, creating cute crafty creations is a common activity. So, I thought I would share a few environmentally friendly craft ideas.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Halloween Ornaments from Recycled Christmas
- Ghost jugs made from plastic milk containers
- Eek-o-friendly Halloween Decorations
- Eco-friendly DIY Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Halloween Crafts
This Halloween keep the planet in mind while you’re having a spooktaular time.
Tomorrow, a guide to sustainable living.
Day 297 – The colors orange and black are associated with Halloween. However, we should probably be thinking green. Seven Generations Ahead created a great Green Your Halloween Guide to help you make your festivities environmentally friendly.
Here are few of the suggestions:
- Try to buy your pumpkin local. Supporting your local farmer is always a good choice.
- Have a plan for your pumpkin after Halloween is over. If the pumpkin is not carved think about eating it (soup, pie, etc). If you carved your pumpkin plan on composting it. Look for a local Pumpkin Smash event in or around your neighborhood. On October 31st, I will be listing all the Pumpkin Smashing events in the city and suburbs.
- Avoid buying a new costume. Check out your closets and see what you already have. Consider a costume swap with family and friends.
- Trying to find sustainable packaging for your candy purchases is very difficult. Consider buying in bulk to limit the packaging and go a step further and invest in a TerraCycle zero waste box for candy wrappers and snack bags. For any leftover candy, avoid throwing it away and donate to an organization collecting surplus candy.
- If your hosting a party, purchase decorations and party supplies that can be used year after year. Preserve plates, cups and bowls are an excellent option.
Whether it’s your everyday routines and habits or special occasions, putting the planet first should be everyone’s priority.
Tomorrow, eco-friendly Halloween crafts.