Day 56 – Can it be that easy? Yes, it can! Your trash can actually benefit others. TerraCycle makes it all possible through their Points Program. I have mentioned TerraCycle in numerous posts (Day 23, Day 37 and Day 55) and how they recycle pretty much everything. I have posted about various partnerships that TerraCycle has created with companies to help make recycling easier. Their partnership with Nordstrom helps recycle makeup containers and their partnership with Rubbermaid helps recycle your well-used plastic containers. These are not the only companies working with TerraCycle. There are plenty that want you to take their empty packaging and return them for points. In turn, you can redeem those points in the form of charitable dollars. To date, TerraCycle has donated close to $45 million to charity.
Here’s how it works:
- Create an account on the TerraCycle website.
- Check out the Free Recycling Programs and signup for the ones that pertain to you and the products you use. Do not get discouraged if the program you signed up for is full. You will be put on the waitlist. You can sign up for as many programs as you want.
- Collect items for each of your programs.
- Once you have enough packaging to ship (some programs have a minimum amount requirement), all you have to do is print out a shipping label and send your recyclables to TerraCycle.
- You will then receive points for your recycled material.
- You can redeem those points in the form of charitable donations.
“TerraCycle has partnered with various non-profit organizations so that your recycling efforts not only help the environment, but also contribute to a wide variety of causes. Whether you want to protect national parks, provide water to someone in need, or offer free music classes to children, your efforts can truly make a difference.” – TerraCycle
If you would like to make a donation to a national nonprofit that is not featured as one of their partners, tell TerraCycle about them! They are always interested in hearing where you would like to see TerraCycle making a difference.
I am currently enrolled in the following programs:
- Burt’s Bees Recycling Program
- Gillette Razor Recycling Program
- Hair Food Recycling Program
- EOS Recycling Program
- Rubbermaid Food Storage Recycling Program
If boxing up and shipping out isn’t your thing, feel free to join my collections and let me do the boxing and shipping for you.
So, start collecting! Take your trash and turn it into a gift for a worthy cause.
Tomorrow, celebrating Skip the Straw Day.