Day 147 – When I thought about putting on sunscreen, I didn’t give much thought about the brand or what was in it. I just slapped it on and went about my day. However, this technique has become problematic with each passing year.
What is an Earth friendly sunscreen?
“Sunscreen ends up in the ocean and other waterways after you swim or shower it off. Common ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate, nano titanium dioxide, and nano zinc oxide can harm coral reefs and sea creatures. That’s why in 2018, Hawaii became the first state to ban the sale of sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate. And the Surfrider Foundation is campaigning for a federal bill that would ban those sunscreens from national marine sanctuaries.” – Sierra Club
It is clear that these chemicals are harmful to ocean life. However, it is unclear if these chemicals are harmful to us. Oxybenzone and octinoxate can be absorbed by the body and have shown up in everything from urine to breast milk. Personally, I do not need further studies to know I would rather not have chemicals in my body that are not supposed to be there in the first place.
A compiled a list from various sources of sunscreens that are good for you, the environment and your wallet.
- Raw Elements – Click HERE to read more about Raw Elements products.
- Bare Republic – Click HERE to read more about Bare Republic products.
- Think Sport – Click HERE to read more about Think Sport products.
- Badger – Click HERE to read more about Badger Balm.
- Coppertone Pure & Simple – Click HERE to read more about Coppertone Pure & Simple.
- Alba Botanica – Click HERE to learn about Alba Bontanica products.
- Wax Head – Click HERE to learn more about Wax Head products.
- Juice Beauty – Click HERE to learn more about Juice Beauty products.
- Banana Boat – Click HERE to learn more about Banana Boat reef friendly products.
- All Good – Click HERE to learn more about All Good products.
For more guidance when choosing a sunscreen, check out the Environmental Working Group’s guide to sunscreens.
I have All Good sunscreen on the way for our summertime needs. All Good is a B-Corporation, 1% for the Planet, Leaping Bunny Certified, Reef Friendly, Certified Organic Ingredients, Climate Neutral, Woman owner and founded company and use wild land farming techniques. WOW! Do I need to say more?
While you’re shopping for sunscreen this summer, don’t just keep your own safety in mind. Think about the bigger picture, as well.
Tomorrow, Costa Rica is making big changes and the U.S. needs to follow in their footsteps.