Day 73 – 30×30 is an ambitious goal to protect 30% of U.S. land and 30% of U.S. ocean by 2030. Currently, only 12% (289 million acres) of the U.S. has adequate protections. The U.S. would have to increase the area of protected land to 729 million acres to reach the goal of 30%.
Why is this movement so important?
Over one million species are currently at risk of extinction worldwide and we lose a football field’s worth of nature every 30 seconds in the United States. Add, that two-thirds of the ocean has been severely altered by human activity and you have yourself a very important issue.
Thankfully, it’s not all doom and gloom. Nearly 60 percent of lands in the continental U.S. are still in a mostly natural condition or could be restored, making the U.S. one of the top five countries for retaining lands in their natural state. This provides the U.S. a key opportunity to protect nature.
The 30×30 movement is getting some much needed support by the Biden Administration. Through a series of executive orders, President Biden has started the process of protecting more land and coastal seas. However, the federal government can not do this on their own. It will also need help from local governments, the science community and the private sector.
A Swiss philanthropist, Hansjörg Wyss, donated a billion dollars to launch the Wyss Campaign for Nature, an initiative devoted to achieving 30X30.
In 2018 the Wyss Foundation announced that it would be launching a $1 billion campaign “to help rapidly expand the proportion of the Earth’s lands and oceans that are conserved so current and future generations can drink clean water, breathe clean air, and experience the wonders of the natural world.”
“From the forests that supply our drinking water to the rugged backcountry that inspires the imagination of our children, everyone on Earth has a stake in conserving our planet’s wild places before they are gone,” said Hansjörg Wyss, who launched the Wyss Foundation in 1998. “I believe that to confront the global conservation crisis, we need to do far more to support locally-led initiatives that conserve lands in the public trust, so that everyone has a chance to experience and explore the wonders of the outdoors.” – WyssFoundation.org
The 30×30 goal is not just a U.S. initiative, it is a global movement. So, how can we help?
- Educate yourself on the 30×30 road map and the steps that will be needed to reach the goal.
- Understand that protecting lands in your own state and even in your own towns and cities, will help get to 30%.
- Support the movement with your vote. Electing officials that will make this initiative a priority is key to its success.
- Support environmental organizations that support the 30×30 movement.
- Support businesses that support the 30×30 movement.
- Stay informed and get involved when possible.
- Engage others in conversation about the 30×30 movement. The more people that know and understand the importance of the goal, the closer we all are to protecting our planet and its future.
70 mayors in 29 states have endorsed the 30×30 initiative. My mayor is one of them. Is yours?
Tomorrow, the importance of eco labels.