Day 66 – Today is Plant Power Day and it was created to encourage people to eat more plant-based foods. On Day 15, I discussed how my family was going to incorporate more vegetarian meals into each monthly meal calendar. I explained how the increase in plant-based foods and a decrease in meat consumption would help decrease greenhouse gases. Today, I thought I would list many other helpful benefits that plants offer us and the planet.
- Plants release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year, and can sequester one ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
- Plants provide habitats and food for wildlife and humans.
- 10% of the moisture in the atmosphere is released by plants.
- Plants can reduce the amount of noise that permeates through a space. A perfect solution for city dwellers.
- Plants can help with temperature control. We all have searched out a tree to provide some shade from the hot rays of the sun.
- Plants provide life saving medicines.
- Plants provide us beauty and great way to appreciate nature.
- Plants can provide clean water. Forests provide natural filtration and storage systems that process nearly two-thirds of the water supply in the United States.
- Plants can have positive effects on mental health. A walk in the woods can have countless health benefits, physically and mentally.
- Plants help with flood control. Trees can hold vast amounts of water that would otherwise stream down hills and surge along rivers into towns. The roots of plants also help decrease the erosion of soil.
So, the next time you are outside, make sure to thank the plants and trees that are working very hard to make your life better. If you can, maybe even plant them a new friend.
In a future post, I’ll discuss the importance of planting native plants verses non-native plants.
Tomorrow, celebrating women that have made saving the planet their number one priority.