Day 51 – From the day I started doing my own laundry, I have always used liquid detergent. Liquid detergent in a plastic bottle that I assumed was being recycled when I put it out with my recyclables. Well, I am learning that not everything is getting recycled and the best thing we can be doing is avoiding single use plastic. So, I was on the lookout for an alternative and I’m happy to report that there are many options. You can get laundry detergent in strips, pods and powder, just to name a few. Everyone will have their own preference and price point, but I decided to go with laundry powder. I purchased Meliora’s laundry detergent.
Here are just a few of the reasons I decided to purchase Meliora:
- There are just 5 ingredients in their detergent and all 5 are people and environment friendly.
- There product is plastic free, all the way down to the metal scoop.
- Refills are packaged in paper bags, so you can refill your canister without purchasing a new one. You can also refill your canister at zero waste stores.
- Meliora is a Chicago based company and I love to support local businesses.
- Meliora produces cruelty free products.
- Meliora is a 1% for the Planet company. They give 1% of their sales to environmental causes.
So, Meliora is the trifecta! They are local, their product is not harmful to the environment and their business supports organizations protecting the planet.
I never thought I would feel good having to do the laundry, but supporting a company like Meliora makes it a bit easier.
Tomorrow, how we can help save the whales.