Day 26 – I don’t think I have ever been this excited about toilet paper. In all honesty, I have never been exciting about toilet paper. However, that has all changed with my purchase of Who Gives a Crap. This Australian company has found a way to make toilet paper environmentally friendly, charitable and fun!
Before purchasing Who Gives a Crap, we would alternate between Charmin and Costco’s Kirkland brand. Little did I know that these brands, along with other big name brands, are not very good for the environment. In 2019, a study was done by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and Stand.earth to determine which toilet paper companies had the best sustainability practices. My two brands received “F” scores. This score was given because these companies (along with Angel Soft, Quilted Northern and Target’s brand Up & Up) do not use any recycled content in their toilet paper. Instead, these brands get their paper by clear-cutting the Canadian boreal forest. With the amount of carbon dioxide being released in our atmosphere, we need to keep every tree we can.
I decided to look for a better alternative. The reviews were not great on recycled toilet paper products. That is, until I came upon, Who Gives a Crap. Here are all the reasons why this company is awesome!
- It is a plastic free product. No plastic bags or wraps, just paper.
- The toilet paper comes from recycled school and office paper.
- The toilet paper does not use any inks, dyes or scents.
- 50% of profits help build toilets and improve sanitation in the developing world.
- The toilet paper is surprisingly soft and sturdy (its 3 ply).
- The cost is comparable to the name brands.
- The company is a certified B-Corporation, so you know they’re legit.
- The colorful wrappers will brighten up your bathroom.
- They’re just a fun company. Their name alone is a good indicator of that fact.
So, it is fitting that today, Australia Day, we celebrate an Australian company that is saving trees, saving lives and giving us something to be excited about, even if it is just toilet paper.
* Here’s $10 off from Who Gives a Crap!
Tomorrow, celebrating the 133rd birthday of a beloved magazine.